Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Found the serial number on the new FW after several DUH!! moments. The allotment date is Jan 23, 1950, and she was made earlyish in the run of 40,000. Dh did well except that the needle doesn't move up and down but I know she needs cleaning and the bed hasd some scratches. She is a long bed so I'm excited overr that. What I'm not excited about is remembering where I put the cleaning stuff cuz I had 3 spaces where I just put stuff that fit there without any sort of plan. MIL still had pleanty of things to grouse about so didn't ruin all of her fun.
Am hoping I can find the 99 face plate and see if it fits the FW. The 99's plate is prettier than than the FW's.
Chris, by long bed, you must mean you have a black featherweight. They didn't come in a 'long bed' and 'short bed' like a 301 does. The black FW's all have the same length bed, and the white/light green ones all have a short bed. I don't have a tan one, but I think the tan/beige one was always a longer bed like the black FW's, but each color was what it was - there was no choice of a long or short bed. There was a free arm, though, in black.

Your needle not moving could be that the bobbin case is not set correctly for the grove (position finger) in the throat plate. It could also be that the hook/race/bobbin casing have some thread caught in there. Those FW's were made so precise - so small - there is no room for a thread, lint, anything to interfere with the action of the machine. Even one thread caught in and around the hook/race can freeze those machines. They are very easy to care for yourself - just get a flash light and start hunting. Don't force anything. Sometimes you can soak the bobbin area in oil and if there is a thread caught you can then get it out. I have 'unstuck' several FW's that just needed a very good cleaning!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-26-2012 at 05:23 AM.