View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM
elizajo

I don't have a dedicated sewing room, but most of my sewing stuff is hidden- usually!-- all around the house. Wherever you have a decorative object, think of it as an opportunity to fill a container with sewing tools or supplies. I sew my clothing in addition to quilting, so the fishermen's creel hanging on the hook by the back door is full of zippers and elastic. The old wicker picnic basket sitting on the bench nearby holds all of my serger thread, sorted by colors into ziplocs. Baskets under the mudroom bench hold interfacings. One end table has lots of drawers filled with sewing supplies. The space under the guest bed has all of my cutting mats and oversized rulers. My grandmother's wicker pram usually has bagged projects hidden under the bottom pad. The padded ironing table is covered with decorative cotton twill and can serve as a luggage table. I have command hooks on the closet doors in that room to hold other sewing supplies. My goal is to be able to tuck everything away, except my sewing table, fairly easily when we have a party or overnight guests.

I had to move most of my sewing things out of the guest room last fall when my MIL was staying with us following orthopedic surgery; she was using a walker and wasn't very steady on her feet. During that time, I found that I prefer to sew in my master bedroom next to the picture window and I like to use the serger standing up at the breakfast room counter. DH hasn't complained yet that my rolling drawer carts are still living in his study, long after his mom went home. Last week I moved my ironing station board to the kitchen bar area with a high counter to prevent neck pain. Until my family complains, I guess I'll continue to sew all over the place.