View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM
themachinelady

A lot of the younger quilters in my area do the bigger stitch quilting, but with regular quilting thread. They have referred to it as "country quilting". I myself like the smaller stitches on a quilt, but that is a matter of personal preference. I can do the smaller stitches, but am soooooooo slow doing it, have been giving country quilting a thought, but when I set down to do it, I just can't make the bigger stitches. Most I have seen are about a quarter inch on top and bottom and I can see where this would go much more quickly, but my needle just wants to make those smaller stitches. One of the ladies in our area makes the tiniest stitches when she quilts, and her quilts are amazing, especially the whole cloth quilts she has done. She has won numerous awards on her quilting, so my goal is to be like her (which will never happen). She started quilting at 11 or 12 years old and is now 78, so she has had a lot of practice. I think whatever 'busts your buttons' is okay as there are so many ways of doing things and I am so glad we don't have to follow rigid rules that "this is how it should be done". I would never make it doing that!

Happy quilting to all
themachinelady