View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 AM
toi123

Here in Huntsville, we have to use the thread, both bobbin and upper thread, that the shop has found works best - and the type of batting, also - for so many people to rent the machine. The class for us was $100 and the rental is $15/hour, so $8/hour is great! Once we're certified on the machine, which I think would be necessary just to know how to make the machine work, we can then go to any future classes free and pick up some more tricks to use when we long-arm quilt. What I did after I was certified was bring in my quilt tops, batting and backing, and let the current class use it as their "practice" quilt, and I got "free" quilting for the duration of the class, the quilt had many different stitching patterns (which was fine with me) and by the end of the class, I had a quilt ready to bind and give away. I guess if you're going to be picky about what goes into your quilt top, you wouldn't want to do this, but I was happy with all four quilts that I've used, so far, and it's more interesting for those learning to see a "real" quilt top, not just a piece of material with batting and backing that gets tossed out when they're done.