Old 05-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Quilter in MN

Default Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold or Brother Quattro 2

I am new to this forum and fairly new to the quilting world as well. I have been sewing for about 30 years now although the past 15 have just been repairs to torn jeans, etc! Since my youngest has left for college I have been searching for a hobby and discovered my quilting passion about 2 years ago. After much thought & reseach into what I required in a machine I invested in a Janome 6600P last year and absolutely love it. It is a work horse for piecing and quilting and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I struggle with FMQ and all of the large quilts I have competed are done in the ditch using the duel feed on my Janome. I have done outlining as well and they have turned out wonderful.

I am now at a point where I want to branch out and make my quilts look more professional but do not want to send them out for long arm quilting. I am of the mindset that what I make needs to be made 100% by me.

I have spent the past couple of weeks online searching embroidery machines. I have seen the Baby Lock Ellisimo and Ellegante 3, the Brother Quattro 2, Innovis 5000 and Duetta 4500D as well as the Viking Ruby and Diamond. I have not had the opportunity to see any Bernina machines as of yet.

I still need to spend time with each machine but am looking for any opinions - good or bad - on any of these models.

I was definately impressed with the Viking Diamond but the closest dealer to me is in a Joann's store and I knew more about the machines from my research online than the dealer did!! It didn't give me a warm and cozy feeling to pay that amount of money to her knowing she was probably the one I would have to call with questions and/or lessons!!

I love my Baby Lock and Brother dealer, she is the one I bought my Janome from and has been very helpful.

As I said before, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.