View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 PM
ThayerRags

Since repainting my MUTT, I’ve put the serger top back on it to finish the trial and error of getting the problems worked out.

1. I cut the leather treadle belt that fits the 306W machine nicely, and placed the short piece in a baggie marked “306W” for now. I cut the belt so that both ends reach about 1/2 way between the top of the flywheel and the bottom of the wood surface, and cut a piece from another leather belt to make the new serger belt extension. I have some extra belt clips, but they’re all down at the shop, so I made one out of a heavy duty paper clip.

2. Having two clips in the drive belt doesn’t seem to be a problem at all. The serger treadles just fine, but I’m going to have to come up with something to keep the belt from riding off of the end of the handwheel. Another treadle serger enthusiast cut slots in the serger base and runs the belt on the existing belt groove. That’s a nice application, but I’d have to take the end plate off of the machine to thread it up each time, and I’d like to keep it where I can just throw the belt off and back on when time to change machines and tops.

3. I’m still thinking on what to use to assure that the machine stays in one spot on the top. I’m thinking that a Z-shaped piece of metal under the machine with one lip up behind the serger and the other lip down to catch the front of the top will work. I will probably use a coat hanger to test this theory before I go to the trouble to fabricate something nicer.

Wheat harvest is about over in our area, so I’ll not be working long hours soon. Maybe I can spend more time on the MUTT. I’d like to get each top and machine functional before moving on to the next. It’s probably best, otherwise, I’ll get wrapped up in starting tops and not get back to finish previous ones. My wife took my Singer Featherweight Handcrank to a Quilt Show this weekend, and it reminded me to put a Featherweight treadle top on my list of tops to do....

CD in Oklahoma