Old 05-27-2012, 02:23 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Chris make sure you are not putting oil on the gears where there is suppose to be Singer lubricant!

Did you take off the bottom cover and get a flashlight to clean really good around the hook/race? I spent one whole Girls Night Out trying to get a FW that was frozen solid fixed. I ended up pulling - with tweezers - a lot of thread and even long hair that had wound around the hook and bobbin area! You couldn't even see some of it until I put oil in there, but even hair can mess up/freeze up those machines. You need to look under there at every angle you can - and clean everything out that shouldn't be there!

On a happier note, I took my 201-2 apart to see why it only makes a 3/4 turn - then is stuck solid! Remember, this is the machine I got for $20 after it had been sold and returned on E-bay. It was packed so bad the case had been crushed! Well, I now know why it won't make a full revolution with the hand wheel - the needle bar is bent and cracked! After removing the feed dogs, position finger, face plate, and watching the machine as I tried to turn the hand wheel all the way around I saw it! Geeze! I must of been blind the first time I tried to get it 'unstuck!' There is a definite crack and bend right where the thing stops moving! Well, that 201-2 is going to be a parts machine. It is nice to know this so I can go on to something else and quit messing with it!

Nancy
Nancy, it is pretty easy to change out a needle bar. All you need is a straight one that will fit. I did it once with fear and trembling. It is NOT very hard at all. I think the hard part was to get it back into timing and you have already timed one I think.

Does that 306 have it's stitch control race on the bottom of the machine like the 319? It might need some attention under there and inside it - once that is cleaned up it might move better up above. Friflow works wonders. Oh and I have a twin to the 306. So far, mine sews, needs more TLC - it sure is an ugly thing.

Last edited by miriam; 05-27-2012 at 02:28 AM.