Old 05-27-2012, 05:21 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Nancy, it is pretty easy to change out a needle bar. All you need is a straight one that will fit. I did it once with fear and trembling. It is NOT very hard at all. I think the hard part was to get it back into timing and you have already timed one I think.

Does that 306 have it's stitch control race on the bottom of the machine like the 319? It might need some attention under there and inside it - once that is cleaned up it might move better up above. Friflow works wonders. Oh and I have a twin to the 306. So far, mine sews, needs more TLC - it sure is an ugly thing.
Miriam, I am pretty sure the stuck bight control lever has a problem within the bight control knob. I will just keep trying to figure it out! I just wanted to make sure if you all knew some little secret I didn't know about how to get that lever on top to move you'd tell me! Like if there was some secret formula - move this, change this, then the lever to move the needle position would move! Luckily, that lever just changes needle positions, the machine sews great. Yes, I agree the 306w in this crinkle finish is not pretty, but it is so solid it just flows when sewing. I have been using my 301a a lot. That machine is light - aluminum - so it sounds more tinny (spelling?).

I know you have changed out a needle bar, I am just not sure I want to do that for a $20 machine I don't need and would have trouble selling for much more. I know once I take off the needle bar, I will 'have' to retime the machine. I just don't know if I want to spend the time on that 201 when I know another one will come along. I am more interested in getting my little Damascus sewing and getting my 306w completely working. I only have one other machine I have not fixed - I fix them all - and it is a gold colored Light Running New Home without a motor. Everything else I have - and I have over 50 now - works!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-27-2012 at 05:25 AM.