Thread: Washing a quilt
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 AM
romanojg

Please be careful with the Color Catchers. I agree they do an amazing job but can cost you alot of money. There was a thread on here a few months ago about them getting into the pump of the front loading washers. I know that even with regulare washers little kids socks can do that so on the rare occasion that I used one after that I'd pin it to a piece of fabric and it still did the job. Well, it was too late. Not too long after that I started having problems with my washer and after tons of trouble shooting I had to call the repair man (thank goodness I had the warranty). He fixed it, it was clogged and showed me what was in it and told me I might want to go thru it because there were a few coins in it. I asked him about the color catchers and he agreed about them being a problem. After he left I went thru the fuzz as he called it, in the middle was 2 Color Catchers. Now I don't use them too often, as a matter of fact, I've only used a partial box. This would have cost me plenty if it hadn't been for my warranty. From now on I'll pin it to a piece of fabric and make sure I remove it when I'm done. I'd be careful since you didn't pre-wash it and I'd only do cold or warm water. Pin the Color Catcher to a separate piece of fabric so that it's not next to your quilt or if you have a mesh bag you can put it in that. I'd say you could probably dry it but not knowing what batting you used. That will depend on the look of your quilt when it's done. You can use a low setting to dry and you can also do a combination of drying and air drying so it's not in there too long. Good luck.