View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I sew with a 1990s Bernina 1031 and two vintage Berninas, an 830 and an 807. I chose Bernina because they are made in Europe (or were when I bought my 1031) and are all metal. The Swiss workings are truly well machined, it's one of the reasons the accessories are expensive -- jewelry quality.

I noticed that John Flynn and Caryl Bryer Fallert both used a Bernina in their own work, John did all his quilting at the time on a vintage 830, and those two are highly respected, well-known, artists in the field of quilting. That was a good enough recommendation for me! As a matter of fact, I called John Flynn and talked to him personally about price before I bought my first Bernina 830.

I've never regretted my choice. Mechanical machines have fewer issues than machines with computer software and circuit boards and steep learning curves. Mine could do any of the fancy clothing sewing I could desire, but I only quilt on them.

I do not embroider and feel I could pay a friend with a fancy computerized machine to do tons of embroidery for me, if I desired it, and still not have paid the cost of one of those machines.

Good luck with your search.

Jan in VA