View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM
romanojg

I have two that I use constantly. A few years ago when I decided after many years to get back into quilting I gave my 25 yr old singer to my daughter and bought a Kenmore/Janome from Sears. I had been searching for something that I could afford and this was mispriced for about 1/2 and I could use my card and even with the warranty I only paid 400. It's a great machine and has handled everything from straight to fancy stitches. It has no problems with thread like I hear others talk about. It's a truely great machine especially for the price. Last yr I bought my Viking Ruby because I really wanted to get into embroidery and I've always been fasinated with Viking. I think it was the black and white dress they used to advertise with. It is such a great machine. It's so easy to use, I have no thread issues with it either, it has a large throat so in another month I'll probably test out the FMQ with it. I love doing embroidery and can't learn enough and have enough designs now to do a few totally different quilts. I like the fact that I don't have to disasemble it to sew because I can use the park feature and it moves the embroidery arm out of the way and then I can sew and multi-task as I go. That is really great for those projects requiring both things. I also love, love the cutwork needles for my Ruby. It makes doing cutwork a piece of cake. Viking is a strong company and my machine is less than a yr and it was made in Sweeden even though there are those out there saying that for yrs now they've been made else where. I like my Kenmore if I'm going to class that doesn't require my Ruby for learning; it's lighter and easier for me to carry. Neither machine needs oiling so that part is great. I've thought many times about giving my Kenmore to my daughter but I'd miss having the extra machine. It sits on the opposite side of my Ruby and I'll have embroidery going on one and piecing on the other one. You are right. On a board this size, no matter what question you ask you'll get a different answer or many, many point of views. I guess that is why we are so great.