Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Daylesewblessed

Default Invitation to Visit Quilt Display in Lubbock, TX, This Summer

Traveling through Lubbock, TX, this summer? Consider stopping at the Ranching Heritage Center to see a display called "Celebrating the Evolution of Quilts". Here is the link:

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/ranchhc/Ce...ingQuilts.html

This show is a collection of mostly everyday quilts made through the decades. I have 2 items on display -- one is a string pieced top (not quilted) with a newsprint stabilizer. The newsprint is from an Oklahoma farm and ranch magazine dated 1959. What is unusual about this top is that the newsprint is still intact! The other quilt of mine in the display is a "biscuit" quilt that my grandmother made for my high school graduation in 1967. It is made from scraps and stuffed with nylon stockings.

The display is running now and goes through July 22. There are interesting Saturday gallery talks scheduled also.

In addition, next door at the Museum of Texas Tech University there is an art quilt show entitled "Quilts of Joy and Remembrance" running at the same time. The link to the museum website is www.museum.ttu.edu.

It is always fun and inspirational to see quilts exhibited, and you are invited to stop to visit these interesting displays!

Dayle