Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Nancy & Miriam; Thanks for your suggestions. Will call tomorrow to see if bike shop is open for the Triflow.
FYI: I did pull out one thread already - old, linty and completely gross looking but thankfully not a mummified mouse - found one once in a machine one time.
Do I take off the handwheel like on a 99? I have done that but needed to replace it so am just curious. You could be be right about it not being fully seated/engaged b/c it turns like nobody's business with out moving anything except the belt. The shaft definitely doesn't move even by hand.
Also, would the 221 manual have a picture of the gears so I lube them and don't oil them? I've oiled what I see open from the top by the spool pin and under the face place but it hasn't made a lick of difference.
Chris
Yes, you can take off the hand wheel and make sure that the little gear/washer is seated correctly - or it would not sew, just spin! That little dohicky could even be missing if someone else took the handwheel off and didn't put it back on properly!

Also, any place you see gears 'teeth,' those need to be lubricated with sewing machine lubricant - not oiled! You may have already taken out some of the dried up lubricant - just replace it with some new lubricant on the teeth! Yes, the 221 manual has a photo of the gears and tells you where to oil and where to lube! A really good book to get is "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro.

Nancy