View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Sally J

I use a singer featherweight for most of my piecing, great straight stitch. I have a Viking D1 that is over 15 years old that I do the quilting and binding because it has special automatic free motion setting and I've never have to adjust the tension like many others without the sensor foot feature. Most of my friends have a small machine they take to classes so they don't lug their heavy machines around. This wouldn't be a problem is you don't attend many classes. If you buy a new machine, be sure to do a really good "test drive" at the shop before buying so you know you like the machine. My friend took her own thread and scrap material with her instead of using what the shop owner has and insisted on at least 30 minutes with each machine. If buying a used machine on Ebay, make sure the seller has a good rating and they accept returns just in case. I do have some friends that have singer 301a's and love them, not sure how they do on free motion as these friends have their quilting done by long arm. Good luck and post on the board what you end up with.