View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Barbara Antman

Smile Emroidered Quilts

I have fallen in love with machine embroidery on quilts, shirts, everything! This adds such a personal touch to everything you make. I have been working on a Victorian Tea Cup quilt that will include Tea Pots. The choices are endless, hence my quilt may end up as big as a tent!
Many designs from well known companies, some from the internet, and yes, okay, ebay.
Now, here is my only problem: Colors! My collection of embroidery thread is growing rapidly, but I must admit I am substituting some colors for a close look-a-like. Example: Billowing Sail, Ruby Glint, Really?
Many shades from many embroidery thread companies are in my collection, but if I collect all stated colors, I will have to rent a house for storage of embrodery thread and fabric stash!
So, I make sure all the thread is rayon, polyester, etc. before I mix and match the fiber content. I have started to print the manufacturers thread color list and compare shades.
Okay, just last night I went into desperation mode and used a verigated polyester not meant for embroidery, but it was one flower, and it worked fine. Is there such a thing as Embroidery Thread Police too?
Would love to know how others deal with color names?
Barbara

Love to know how others deal with this problem.