Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
justme CA

I don't know if this qualifies for I didn't start the quilt my grandmother did before I was born in the early 1920s or before. After my mother died the top laid in a brown paper bag for more than 40 years. I found it, didn't even know what the pattern was (went to the library and found it was feathered star) took it from California back to the Ozarks to ask relatives about it. My mother had never mentioned it to me.

"Oh your grandmother made quilts for all her daughters and that's the one you were named for! Her name was Sarah Elizabeth and she had 11 children and made quilts all the time." All of this was news to me so I got backing, batting and finished the quilt and had it hand quilted where it all began in Ozark, Missouri. So it was finished in 1987 and begun in about 1919. It had value to me and I started quilting myself but it had no value apparently to my mother for whom it was made.

I have written about the quilt, the woman who made it and my mother's life and times. I still write, quilt, volunteer and garden and I am older than any of the other people I have mentioned. I was inspired by the quilt. But I do NOT hand quilt I only piece and love working with colors. I am a great grandmother 86 myself now!