View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 PM
nursie76

Default Tote for a 5 year old

First some background on how this project came to be. My DH eats frequently at a Chinese restaurant near his place of employment. The managers of the place often take there 5 year old to work with them. My DH always felt sorry for her because she looked so lonely, so he started making conversation with her and soon, she would keep him company while he ate. He said she reminds him of our oldest daughter at that age, and she seemed to touch his heart. One day he found our old Mouse Trap board game and took it with him when he went to lunch. She loved moving the mice around the board and building the trap. Soon he was looking for kids games to load onto his IPhone for her to play. Her mother and aunts who also work there soon became friends and he found out the little one was starting kindergarten in the fall. They said she was having trouble with her letters, so he got a set of flash cards and encouraged her to say the letters. Last month he said he wouldn't be seeing her much longer, because once her older brother was out of school, she wouldn't be coming into the restaurant much anymore. I offered to make her something as a good bye gift and he requested a tote bag. So, this is what I came up with. I also added a cat coin purse and butterfly tissue holder all made in my embroidery hoop. I think they came out very nicely, although he insisted on a somewhat bigger tote than I had planned, but he says he remembers our daughter loved to tote lots of treasures around when she was this age, so this is the size it became. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg