Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hehe. Yes, I'm enabler. Well, Nancy, a lot of people have told me I should have been born a man. I built a 18 x 16' greenhouse a few years back and my hubby just shook his head. I had no directions from a 10 year old kit. I put my noodle on it and did it pretty much all by myself, except I did hire an electrician and have a friend help me pour the concrete block footers. And I built a 15 ft. redwood pergola on the side of the house with help from my MIL. You should have see the looks we got from people driving by, watching two smallish women heft redwood around and putting in concrete piers. I had a few people ask me "Why my husband isn't doing it or where's my husband?" Too funny:> I've always tackled this kind of stuff.

I know how you get attached. I sold a machine last week and I'm selling another today. I bought a vintage Viking on Fri. that I've spent at least 8 hours working on that is now going to be a fantastic machine. It had 3 stuck dials and I had to rebuild the internal buttonholer mechanism. Also the motor wiring needed help. The machine only sewed in reverse when I got it. I received a lot of help from someone who walked me through some of the tricky steps. I said a lot of cuss words and ended up with bloody knuckles. But, in the end I learned the problems of a different brand-and this machine seemed to have all the problems vintage Vikings are known for! I can't keep them all so I try to let on go if I keep one. Or at least, that's what I tell myself!
Hummmm, you'd have been a very small man! I get frustrated because I wish I had the physical strength to tackle a lot of repair/maintenance/improvement projects around our place. I have a friend who will tackle anything from putting up crown molding, to tile work, hardwood floors, plumping - I have always admired that about her. Maybe, in my next life I will be more productive! Men who marry women like you are sure blessed - my poor DH has to do all that stuff - I'm kinda useless when it comes to building or repairing something!

You know Candace, how in the world did you learn how to rebuild the internal button holer? And you re-wired the motor? You and Miriam are both amazing. I know Cathy can do that stuff too, but she has been practicing/learning for years! I am learning how to do timing and some other things, but I really don't have the desire to really get into the mechanics of the motors and such. I would rather get the old machines that aren't so complicated. I am getting more and more interested in the workings of the machines, but I don't think I will ever dig into them like you two do? Although, the more I dig into my machines, and the more I am able to 'fix,' the more interested I am becoming in the inner workings of the machines!
Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.