Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 PM
ghostrider

I think you'd be quite heartbroken if you didn't prewash your fabrics. Blue batiks are some of the worst as far as bleeding is concerned...at least in my experience, and I use batiks almost exclusively these days.

You say yours are mostly fat quarters and you hate what your washing machine does to what's inside. How about filling up your kitchen sink with hot water, a bit of liquid soap and a couple Color Catchers to check for loose dyes and wash the batiks by hand? No need to scrub (they're not dirty), you're just freeing up any loose dye and letting any shrinkage take place...tiny little bit that there might be. Swishing them around for a couple minutes ought to tell you all you need to know. I've never had batiks distort in any way, even in the washer (but I wash fabrics on gentle in my 31 year old energy guzzling top loader).

Hand washing is a quick, easy way to check for bleeding and you can rewash any bleeders until they stop (the Color Catchers will remain white). Toss the white fabric in the washer as Moda Bella does shrink. After that, your colors should all be safe as long as the quilt lasts and you'll never have to worry about it.