View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM
spokanequilter

Default How much to charge to make a quilt....

I'm hoping to get a little advice from all you quilters. I have a friend who asked me about making a quilt for her mother (actually, one for her mother and one for her). Her mom has embroidered 50 blocks, each representing a state, and another 50, each one representing the state flower for each state. Whew!! That's a lot of embroidery! Anyway, her mom has always wanted to have a quilt made of each set of blocks, but doesn't know anyone who quilts or how to go about finding someone. So, my friend asked if I would be interested in making these quilts. I think they are wanting something simple, like sashing and cornerstones around the blocks, and then a border or two. I haven't actually committed myself yet, but I do want to look at the blocks and then decide. I think it might be a fun project.

My friend insists that she and her mom would pay me for making these quilts, which I guess is reasonable. My question is how much should I charge? I don't think it will be difficult, but will take some time, of course, to plan and make the quilts. Have any of you made quilts for others for which you were paid, and how did you go about establishing an amount to charge??