Old 05-28-2012, 11:11 PM
SulaBug

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post

Sulabug - Are ya still thinking on my reply to what makes a block pop? LOL or did I just make a post too long to read.. LOL Haha I have one of those color wheels and Im going to take it out today and use it to help select scraps for the new mystery train. Have you ever used one of those pieces of film or a viewer. That you lay over the fabric it is either a red film or blue..Im not sure which. Peeps have mentioned them on different threads as being very helpful in fabric selection.. however I have not been able to pin down where to obtain one???

Have a wonderful Memorial Day Everyone
Jenniky,
Oh, I read your post & have been thinking about how I want to answer you, as to what I call POP & I finally figured it out!! It's the Value of color's in a quilt project, that perform's two function's. It creates a sense of depth and it makes the design in a block. Value, the lightness or the darkness of color does as much to determine the look of the quilt as the colors themselves. So when I looked a the pretty quilt block with the dark purple batiks with the light ones, the dark color popped out to me. The dark colors come forward & the light colors recede. So in my eye the purple color just POP'S!! I hope this makes sense as to how I think something POP'S. It is probably just the way that I look at color's. I also have a color wheel & use it alot. I don't have the the piece of film that you can look through, so I have never tried that. When I see something else that really pop's to my eye, I will be sure to let you know!! Do have a great day & thank you for bringing this subject again. I love to read your posts.