Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 AM
J Miller

irishrose,

RE: The clunking 533.

The Singers of that era seem to use the same basic linkage for the cam drive. Our 413 uses almost the identical linkage as the 538. So much so that when we had the tops off of both of them the 413 let us see some damaged and missing parts in the 538.

I just checked my exploded drawings and the 533 is very similar to the 538, even using the same parts book. When our 538 is set for satin or stretch stitches a separate follower rides on the top half of the white cams. It's a solid finger kind of part and when it rides off of the back side of the cam lobe the linkage clunks loudly. My wife thinks it's caused by the worn cam drive gear but I'm of the opinion it's in the linkage.
When you run it on the black cams it uses a different follower with a rounded wheel like finger and it doesn't clunk near as much.

So have your granddaughter try different ZZ settings and perhaps take the top off the machine and watch what clunks as you sew with it. You can lay the top on a shelf or box behind the machine and the top tension will still work.

Also if she does not have an owners manual, have her get one, or get one for her. The controls for the stretch stitches are sorta complicated and if you set them wrong the machines will get upset and throw a tantrum.

Give me a while and I'll get some pics of our 538 and post them.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 05-29-2012 at 04:14 AM.