View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
What would you consider to be the best "inexpensive" antique singer "bible" for someone new to the idea of collecting the older singer machines? I would like to educate myself before I spend money on something that I should have avoided buying in the first place. I need to learn the different appearances to look for and what model each is as well as the things to watch for as I shop. I learned to sew 65 years ago on a long bobbin singer treadle (don't know what model) and would love to have one or maybe one slightly newer that has the reverse lever like the "modern" ones (again, I don't know the model) we had at school. I love reading all of your comments on the old goodies. Help me with a good book title and maybe a suggestion on where to buy it. Amazon??? Thanks Donna
It's not a book, but a group. Register at Yahoo and join one of the many vintage machine groups there. There are thousands of threads on machines (which are good or not) and you can do searches on specific machines. I'm a member of the vintage pfaff, elna, singer and Viking groups and although they're very strict with rules they are a treasure trove of information. It's where I've learned the most about vintage machines and repair.

AND it's free. More information than any books would have!