View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by mudsprite View Post
....I wind up dragging everything outside to sew to at least get some fresh air. ... The offshoot of "treadling on the beach", was that so many people were facinated at the camp grounds.
Hi mudsprite,

Those are a couple of good reasons to sew outside, or at least without electricity. I have a whole herd of handcrank machines, because they’re just so portable, plus, I guess I just like handcranks. The problem (for me) is that I can’t rig up a handcrank for every machine that I’d like to use in a non-electric setting, so I’ll have to learn how to treadle some.

I was staying in a “workers & drivers” motel in Texas one year when working highlines, and nearly ripped a back pocket completely off of my coveralls when something caught the handle of a tool in the pocket. Luckily, I had taken along my Singer 66 handcrank machine, and that evening in the motel parking lot on the tailgate of my pickup, I sewed my hip pocket back on. It didn’t take long, but there were 2 or 3 drivers that stopped by to watch and comment about how they should get a machine to carry with them for their emergency repairs.

We get a similar reaction whenever we set up a handcrank machine at our vendor booths. I suspect that the MUTT will entice similar reactions.

CD in Oklahoma