Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Believe it or not that machine is totally black. In the right light the nose looks like chrome - but it really is black - everything is black. It has a potted motor - Rain says it has a wire cover leak somewhere inside and then down the front of the machine - look by the badge. Tar like stuff. This machine made it to the bench for a while today. It would not turn. No movement. I dug out a bunch of lint and oiled it up with Triflow. After I got it fairly clean it still would not budge. I started putting things back together and when I went to put on the feed dog cover I noticed it rocked a bit. So I re-oiled the stuff that moves and rocked it a bit. Nothing moving. So I put the rest of the stuff on it and then gave it a good turn and guess what - it moves. Some of the black goo wiped up - all but a couple specks is off the badge. Feels good to win one once in a while. That one is by no means ready to sew but it looks do-able. I will need to learn a few things about wiring from Rain's blog to get this machine in good shape. Now I'm wondering if the tar like stuff was somewhere in the gears or moving parts gunking it up. I wonder if I need to very quickly pull that motor off...
just a pic to refresh your memory...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]338654[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails may-19-2012-027.jpg