Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Glenn

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Glenn, I don't doubt that you know what you are talking about, but I think E-bay is what has pushed the price up. But if you watch e-bay those machines don't sell for what they are asking. The same thing with Craigslist. I have seen the same machines on Craigslist for months and months. They just get re-listed, because they don't sell. I still think it is a buyers market. I find machines all the time like the Red one (but not red or I'd own it!) on our craigslist, at flea markets, yard sales, barn sales, for $25 to 35 bucks. There still are not a lot of folks wanting the old vintage machines. They are too heavy for the younger generation. The new to sewing people want a modern plastic wonder. They don't want to lug around an all metal 40 lb machine! I really don't see a real market for these machines - not many young people even want to sew! I think the real market is with us - the people who appreciate the value of an all metal machine. So maybe you are right after all - we are the ones who are pushing up the prices! I know here where I live, the antique stores won't even take a treadle or a vintage/antique sewing machine. They tell me they can't sell them so don't want them in their stores! When we drove to Oakland to pick up my Pfaff treadle the store owner threw in a Japanese 15 in really nice shape that had been in his store forever - he couldn't get rid of it - he made us take it as part of the deal when we took the Pfaff! So where are the buyers for these antique and vintage machines?

Nancy
Yes Ebay is asking high prices but they are following the antigue stores and prices. And yes some don't sell and have to be re listed but all do sell. Some go to the local antigues stores and will sel at the asking price. The condition is not an issue it is the demand. Ebay is only the reflection of what people will pay. The Q B is not the only members looking for the vintage machines. For every QB wanting a machine there are three business people who want to seel them a Vintage machine at top $. There are many sites on the hunt for Vintage Sewing Machines and sites that sell these vintage machine at high dollar prices. Ebay is a reflection of what people will pay, just look at what we quilters did to the FW!!!!!!