Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM
mrsj82

Default What to do when you are given a zillion jean squares

My hand hurts. Like really bad. I think it's formed into a claw...this is a serious condition that can only be caused by one thing. A rag quilt has been created.

See a while back my mom gave me a stack of jean squares that was about as tall as the Empire State building. Okay maybe not that high, just as tall as the Sears Tower. She wanted to get them made into something, but couldn't fathom how/what/when of the actual application. Seeing as how I'm crafty (or at least pretend to be) she thought I could make something out of them.

So after a while I decided to start putting this jean quilt together. I drew out a few patterns, but each one I drew out made the quilt the size of Texas. I don't know about you, but Texas just won't fit into my apartment. So I had to scale it back. I ended up using half the squares that were pre-cut...and have a few pairs of jeans left to do something with. I used flannel for the backing and decided not to do a batting because it was already going to be heavy enough, I didn't want to add the extra weight.

I started to assemble said quilt. And then lost steam. I started a job that made me so stressed I was physically ill all the time. I couldn't get enough sleep let alone do dishes or feed the husband. So yeah I didn't really have time for quilty type projects...so this kind of just sat there at the sewing machine. And then I quit the stressful as all get out job, and found time on my hands again.

And then this past week, I rearranged the sewing space. And it was organized and calling out to me to create something. So I decided to finish this up. It's a monster...it weighs a ton, and my hand hurts from clipping all the seams for two days straight. (That's right, two days!) But I think it's beautiful. And it matches my sofa...and it's soft and cuddly...(and after I cleaned out four lint traps worth of threads it's finally stopped shedding...) And I honestly didn't plan the layout...it just kinda came out like this. Although I think that's half it's charm. It measures 72''X78''...and is big enough to cover up the husband, but honestly I like it as a chair cover, so he may not get to actually use it.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails img_6088.jpg   img_6093.jpg   img_6095.jpg   img_6094.jpg