Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Havplenty

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
... Yes, there are lots of lazy lurkers not willing to do their own work or just take advantage of us. ...

There are those that will never make a posting here on this thread, but will post a "hey look at my new machine" or "help my X machine doesn't work" or 'blah x machine blahblah" on a thread that they have started on the QB. I have almost stopped reading those threads. Some may be lurkers from other vintage machine sites testing the QB site, and some may be quilters on the QB site just lurking on this thread...possibly too afraid to speak up. ....
i tried going back through the thread to understand the start of this conversation. while i feel i got the gist of it some of the sentiment escapes me. my observation of this thread has been that there is a small core group of members who continually post to the thread in almost daily conversation, there are some who drop in and out with comments, there are some who pop in with questions about their newly acquired vintage machines and some who peruse to learn and may occasionally ask questions. i am not sure what even classifies a 'lurker'.

while i do not consider myself a vintage machine collector (though i own 4 now), i do know that i benefit when i see information or comments posted on this thread pertaining to the machines that i own. i don't always comment but i make notes and sometimes ask questions. i looked at the opportunity to be able to ask questions of those who knew these machines better than i as a great resource never thinking that anyone would think they were being taken advantage of or of myself as a lazy lurker. there have been several times my just reading this thread has given me insight.

i know that i will never be a 'true' vintage machine collector, i will never own a treadle or look for complex or specific colored or special models (i.e. crinkled, hand cranked, etc) of vintage machines nor do i plan to own a whole lot of them or use them for home decor. it's outside my realm of expertise. so when such things are being discussed on this thread, i can't really contribute. and i know for sure i will never make my own lingerie.

i will be the person who reads this thread and occasionally ask questions. i have a singer 128 with a vibrating shuttle bobbin that i am sure when i get started with this machine i will have questions. and it wont be out of lack of desire to research that i will ask (because i will do my research) but because i genuinely will need help. i do hope that there are some who frequent this thread who don't mind answering the questions or sharing their expertise. i respect overall that sharing and how its done is a personal thing for some.

now if this thread was about shoes, i know that i could contribute to the conversation and would contribute often.

mary