Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 AM
GailG

I've made a small throw with two different pieces of denim (medium blue and a tiny light blue and white stripe) that I had stored wondering how to use them. I wore denim skirts a lot when I worked (first grade teacher) and I didn't need that anymore. So I tried the idea of a rag quilt. Didn't use any batting and didn't cross hatch the blocks which were cut 6" square. By the time I sewed the half inch seams (8 blocks wide and 10 blocks long) that quilt was so heavy. And yes, it did take a couple of days and several blistered fingers to get it all clipped. (Actually, years later, I noticed two of the seams of one block was still not clipped. ) WE have really used it. I've spread it on the grass (fringes down) and used it for sitting at an outdoor concert, covered my legs at football games (and a bleacher cushion as well ;D)

I was at JoAnn's Monday and saw that the shears and scissors were on sale --50%!!. I wanted to pick up those shears designed to clip rag quilts but wasn't sure just how helpful they are. Anyone know?