View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

The best advice I can offer for the future:

1. Take the time to audition your quilting. I literally redraw the blocks on paper. Then I take tracing paper and audition different designs. Clear vinyl and wet erase pens work too. Here is a thread I did on the design process

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t121493.html

Too often we are in a rush to get to the fun part, the actual quilting. Unfortunately lack of forethought and planning often show in the end product. So take your time and audition NUMEROUS designs in your quilting space.

2. Quilting in contrasting thread is best left to when you have honed your skills to a knife edge. Many times a darker thread on a light fabric can look "spidery" and every single waver, hesitation and mistake shows. So choose a thread that totally blends in with your fabric, it hides a multitude of mistakes as well! Really quilting is all about the texture you can create. You enhance a quilt with quilting by complimenting the piecing with the quilting. Sure sometimes the quilting ends up being the star and that is great too.

3. Let the quilt speak to you. Study it and listen to what it whispers. Many times it will tell you to leave certain spaces unquilted. That is OK. It is always much easier to go back and quilt a place that was left unquilted then to frog stitches.