View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
For straight lines I use masking tape! for some reason I just don't trust chalk, I know many people do but with the tape if for some reason (I have three kids so thats reason enough) if I have to stop in the middle of a line I don't have to worry about the chalk getting brushed off while I am away! the tape stays in place pretty much no matter what, I had some tape on a quilt until just the other day, it had been on for at least three months folded up in a box, i pulled it out put it in the machine and stitched the line! removed the tape and nothing was left behind and the tape had stayed in position!

You can also get tape in many different widths to get different width lines!
well, I'm a masking tape-r too! I have a whole box of kids colored chalks, but ever since I read somebody had trouble getting the blue out, and eventually they did, after many soakings, tried vinegar on a suggestion,...I haven't been brave enough to use it.
I might start with it in my seam allowances on a tote or a garment, and see how it goes.
My hubby uses a chalk-string, and i just asked him if he thought it would wash out, and he thinks it will. A quilter he ain't though, just so you know. He says if you mark tar ppr and it rains, it's gone, so...
(I had to add that before he left, he was getting his feelings hurt...he may be right though...thank you, honey :wink: )
I'd use a scrap first, as I don't like washing right after I'm done. I like the crisp look, not the hmmm, scrunched? antique? get my drift, lol?