Thread: fabric softener
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Tiffany

Hi Julie. The gal should have given an explanation instead of just saying don't do it because there are two reasons you don't want to use fabric softner or dryer sheets with your quilting fabrics. The first, if you use any type of pelon or the stuff that is used in many applique projects. I can't for the life of me think of the name and I'm going to feel very foolish when I think of it, but please bear with me. It's the stuff you iron onto your fabric and you can use it to iron that fabric onto another. When you use a dryer sheet or fabric softner, that product will not stick to your fabric very well, if at all. The residue left behind on the fabric acts as a protective barrier.

The other reason is that there are certain bugs, especially silver fish, that love to eat the fabric softner from your fabric, which is the same as saying they eat your fabric. That is also why you aren't supposed to store any fabric with spray starch on it for long periods of time. There is nothing worse than trying to build a fabric stash only to discover bugs have gotten into it and destroyed it. :evil: I hope this helps clear up any confusion. :thumbup:
~Tiffany