Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
jlhmnj

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Jon; DH bought me a Davis Vertical Feed with the serial # of 573250. The plate info says Dayton, OH, USA, and another plate says "Manufactured for Bruce Sewing Machine Company, SPringfiled, IL". There are no dates on the slide plates but plenty of which size needle for which size thread etc and it was a treadle that someone converted to an e-machine. It came a big ole honking needle - not a 15X1 size needle. I assumed the needle was the elusive and almost unobtainable Boye #10 or #20. How would I verify that? I would love to sew with her but wanted more than one needle before I began a project.
Chris

Hi Chris

I've only seen "Bruce Manufacturing" on the newer Vertical Feeds (NVF). The SN 573250 is for a VF1 made around 1893 which uses the Boye 10 / MTX190. The NVF uses a 15x1. Does your Davis have a big tension disk on top the the arm (VF1)? The big honkering needle is a Davis long. I'd verify you have a VF1 before buying any needles as small chance the slide plate with serial could be off another machine. I'd be real interested to see a picture.

The Boye 10 is not rare just expensive at around 10-12 dollars a tube for 3 needles plus shipping. The MTx190's are around $5 for 10 shipping included. However, the MTx190 are round instead of flat so they have to be aligned and not as easy to use as the Boye 10's and take a few extra seconds to install.

Jon