View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
dhanke

Default April Showers, a string-x quilt

I FINALLY finished this quilt last weekend. I started it in March, quilted it in April and finally bound and labeled it last Sunday. Almost all of the string fabrics were given to me by my Mom. She had purchased a bunch of vintage (50's to 60's) fabric samples from an antique store in Estes Park Colorado while at her 50th High School Reunion, and that was in 1994. A few years ago she gave them to me for my birthday. I am amazed at how current most of them look, especially the dotty circles that I used for the narrow border insert. It's my favorite! The background fabric was also in Mom's stash, but I think it's probably an early 90's fabric. The pieced backing is a mishmash of leftover strips and a sunny print that I've had in my stash for close to 10 years.

I tried to add a link to the website that has a tutorial for this block, but didn't have any luck. If you want it, just google nittany block party string x tutorial, that should bring up the website for you.

Sorry to ramble on so, but I wanted to give the background on this project, it means a lot to me because my Mom gave me the fabrics. I showed the finished quilt to her this morning, she was pleased that I had used the vintage fabrics, she's been asking me for a long time if I was ever going to do something with them.
Attached Thumbnails string-x-april-showers.jpg   string-x-close-up.jpg   april-showers-backing.jpg