Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
chris_quilts

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Chris

I've only seen "Bruce Manufacturing" on the newer Vertical Feeds (NVF). The SN 573250 is for a VF1 made around 1893 which uses the Boye 10 / MTX190. The NVF uses a 15x1. Does your Davis have a big tension disk on top the the arm (VF1)? The big honkering needle is a Davis long. I'd verify you have a VF1 before buying any needles as small chance the slide plate with serial could be off another machine. I'd be real interested to see a picture.

The Boye 10 is not rare just expensive at around 10-12 dollars a tube for 3 needles plus shipping. The MTx190's are around $5 for 10 shipping included. However, the MTx190 are round instead of flat so they have to be aligned and not as easy to use as the Boye 10's and take a few extra seconds to install. Jon
Jon; Picture as son as DDs get home and find camera. Machine just says Davis and the bobbin winder is low on the arm but machine takes a long(er)shuttle for the bobbin thread. I will have to dig out needle and measure it. You have me curious now.
Edit: The needle is approx 1 3/4" long but lady who sold it to me said it was not a common needle. Curiouser and curiouser.
Chris

Last edited by chris_quilts; 05-31-2012 at 04:22 PM.