Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I'm going to buy 1/4 yd. of several bolts of "Kona" at my Joann and take Robert Kaufman up on their testing offer. At the same time I'm going to take a photo of the end of the bolt showing the Kona with the registered trademark.
Then at least I'll have a definitive answer for my Joann store.

Anyone else care to join me?
I have some leftover white Kona (probably not Kaufman) which I may send, after I read the article. It not only frays but the weave is off, as in not straight. I noticed that right away and have sewed long enough to know that's not good so I should not have used it. But I was in cutting mode and went ahead anyway. Only when pressing seams did I also realize how much it frayed.

It's my opinion that quilting has become such a big hobby--therefore industry-- that some stores are selling some very poor quality goods to unsuspecting beginners. I've gone to the same JoAnn's for years and they almost don't have fashion fabric anymore, but devote most of their space now to quilting or craft goods. As a long time sewer I am familiar with fabric but as a fairly new quilter I've certainly made some mistakes. Buying that white Kona was one of them! lol

Marilyn