Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Thanks Nancy...

Have they done Xrays of your shoulder? Rotator cuff was one of the possibilities with mine...but it turned out to be "Calcific tendonitis", a calcium deposit that irritates the tendon and limits range of motion. After a year or so, it's finally getting better, altho I still don't have full range yet...
Somewhere between the ages of 40-60 many women devlope some type of problems with their shoulders and one or both shoulders will freeze up ( not always at the same time). A limited range of motion occurs and sometimes after some type of injury. The Japanese have a phrase for this. Translated the phrase is the "50 year old woman syndrome" (which has now been changed to the 40 year old since they are starting to see this in younger women). I believe they think hormones play a part of this freeze up. Initially, the pain is great and range of motion is almost very little (painful to get a good night sleep too). Then the shoulder starts to unfreeze very very slowly; about this time the pain starts to decrease some. About a year later from onset, the shoulder is ok.

I know many women that have develop this syndrome. Those that waited the year out versus having surgery have been very surprised to find the shoulder better after end of the year.

It's no fun to go through, and I find it interesting that the Japanese have this phrase for the syndrome.