Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Teri D

Question HELP! Model 127 Sphinx -- should I buy it?

I've looked at a treadle machine today that I determined to be a 1923 model 127 with the shuttle bobbin (SN G0554143). It is in a cabinet with 4 round-fronted drawers and a flip top. It is missing the front half of the plate that covers the bobbin (it seems that I can get an aftermarket version online for about $20) and the veneer on the cabinet is missing or coming up in a few places but otherwise the cabinet isn't "too bad" and would probably clean up OK. Alas, the Sphinx decals are NOT in good shape -- this machine has obviously seen a lot of use! The belt is too loose to check on the treadle mechanism but the wheel moves freely by hand and the needle and bobbin seem to move just fine. The machine raises and lowers into the cabinet nicely. There are no attachments and the treadle finish is chipped. The seller wanted $150 but I offered $100. I didn't take any photos because I didn't want to appear "too" interested.

Based on this rather scanty information, is it worth $100? I'm not a collector -- I just think it would be cool to have a machine that doesn't require electricity to run and this one is located close by. I plan to just to minimal "clean up" on the cabinet and machine.

Thank you for your advice!