View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Joan

Originally Posted by fktsewing
I agree---my son lives in Croydon, just south of London in England and it costs so much to send him the simplest things.

I checked out the new one price,one size boxes that are new at the post office and what a joke. They are no better. Plus, unless whatever I send is a gift, he has to pay British taxes on it. The Queen has to make her money someway.

He just started quilting a year ago and is quite good at it, but fabrics over there are really expensive. I tried to send him some fabric and they taxed that plus all his tools and equipment---when he asked why, they said that he was taking money from England because he could have purchased the items over there. Very frustrating.
I understand your frustration. I made a quilt to send to a very dear friend in the UK who is going through cancer treatment. On the custom's form, I checked the box indicating it was a gift and my English friends still had to pay customs. Customs was 17%! I didn't realize they had to pay custom on gifts. I said the contents of the box were worth $100 so they had to PAY to get their gift! :evil: