View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 AM
pieceful

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
if using a REAL vintage doily, be sure to hand wash it first, and then perhaps stitch it down and skip the glue..if you don't use glue that is meant for fabric will eventually become hard and yellow....if you do use a fabric glue, skip the water soluble...even if you do not plan to wash it, everyday moisture in the air, or even steam pressing can cause the glue to let go! and if it is heirloom it might be washed after you pass it down...

I love to collect vintage doilies and use them a lot, but I love this idea for some special ones I have!
Great advice! I use a product called Lapel Stick that is for fabric, but of course you could use pins and sew all over the doily. I just showed my process and I hope it has inspired more doily minis : ) Have fun and do it your way!

Here's info on the Lapel Stick....I have no affiliation with them, just use their product:

Lapel Stick is the only temporary non-toxic acid-free fabric adhesive that goes on in seconds and dries clear for Quilting, Sewing, Crafting, and Embroidery. It replaces baste stitching, pinning, tapes, spray adhesives, and stabilizers. No more messy sprays with toxic fumes, glues that damage and stain fabrics, or getting stuck with pins that can also badly damage expensive machines. A "must have" notion for every sewing kit.
Lapel Stick is water soluble and child friendly, it is safe to use on cottons, wool, polyester, blends, felt, linen, and leather. This unique adhesive is also safe for your equipment, the product has undergone extensive real world testing with confirmations from leading Quilters and Sewers that it will not gum up your needles or damage your machines.