Thread: Binding
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 AM
qbquilts

Lately I've been doing a faux piped binding. It allows me to machine finish it while hiding the stitches. Cut the binding color @ 1 1/2" and the piping color @ 1 3/4". Miter the piping pieces together into one long piece and repeat with the binding pieces (whatever length you would normally make for the binding for that quilt). Then sew the piping and the binding right sides together along one of the long edges. You'll now have a faux piped binding that is 2 3/4" wide. Press toward binding color. Fold in half wrong sides together and press as you normally would press your binding. One side will be completely the piping color and the other side will be the binding color with about 1/8" of the piping color peeking over the fold. Sew to the BACK of the quilt with BINDING side DOWN (as you would normally sew your binding). Turn over to the front and stitch in the ditch along the piping/binding seam. I suggest using a thread that matches your piping color. It makes the stitching nearly invisible.