Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Christine George

This is just my opinion but, I've never gone through any of that straight grain operation. You cut where you cut! I don't starch anything either, but that's your choice. The quarter inch foot for my machine was too narrow. It allowed the seam to go down in between the feed dogs and get all bunched up. I switched to one of the wider feet and set my needle over so that needle>edge of foot = 1/4". In ironing the seams I use steam. First iron the seam flat then open with the seam laying over the darker fabric. Move the iron from the lighter side to the darker side pressing the seam open. Unless you've put your seam on the bias there shouldn't be too much stretching with that. Why iron the seam down before opening? That flattens the thread into the fabric, especially with steam, then they can lay down together after the seam is pressed open. Make sure your machine thread tensions aren't making the fabric pucker. That too will cause a "stand-up" problem. Relax. Take a deep breath. No cops are coming to your door. This is a hobby. You'll catch your stride after some trial and error and you'll create something beautiful. And I hope you have a digital camera. We all want to see the results!