Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
madamepurl

Default Do they make a Mid-Arm 16"-18" machine that will do a straight stitch and FMQ

So yesterday a friend and I went out and test drove both Tin Lizzie and Handi-Quilter. I'm not really crazy about setting up a frame even though I do have room and I'm even less thrilled about the $9K - $10K price tag, since I have no interest in a business and only want to do this for myself.

I know you can get Bailey's etc, for a lot less, even a basic Tin Lizzie for a lot less, but when we compared it to the computer model, that computer was the hands down winner. The price with the metal frame was around $7000K for the basic Tin Lizzie. Oh I hated the wood frame too much vibration and I really don't want to fuss with a frame at all.

We tested the sit down models as well. The new sit down Sweet 16 stitch regulator is sweet. Even my friend who does not FMQ well was able to make perfect stitches. So that was in the $6K range with the regulator - around $5K without the regulator. The Tin Lizzie sit-down was $4K, if I took the floor model, which FMQ'd similar to my Brother. Anyway I was left fairly underwhelmed.

I have both a Horizon and a Brother PQ1500s. I originally thought I would put the Brother on the frame, but found I loved piecing with it. I can get bang on scant stitch and with the rotary hook it makes a beautiful stitch for FMQ.

So here's what I really want...

What I want is the Brother PQ1500s or Juki 2010 with 16" - 18" of space. I only want to do 1/4" stitch and FMQ - that is it - and I'd like it for under $2K, which is what I paid for my Horizon, $1500 or under would be more attractive. Also - I want it self contained no oil pan. So does anyone know of someone who makes a mid-arm straight stitch machine with feed dogs? If not, why not? Do we need a email campaign, letting manufacturers know what we want?

Also, does anyone know if you have your machine stretched do you lose the feed dogs? I would rather buy one already stretched over going through that process. Like I said earlier my Brother PQ1500s is a gem and I want to leave it as is.