Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
PurplePetal

Default I'm jumping in..starting my journey into developing a scrap system

I've been "researching" a lot. (this is my way of dealing with avoidance/fear of disappointment-perfection)

I've spent lots of time reading and admiring all the amazing things on this site.

I've read Bonnie Hunter's blog (OK devoured all the information)

I've watched endless You Tube videos.

I've ordered rulers, books, and when I first began quilting again 3 months ago, actually made 4 items.
Somehow I wasn't hesitant then, but as I read more and more, my fear (the scant 1/4", etc) climbed.

Anyway, after reading Bonnie Hunter's scrap system. I decided to try it out. This seems "freeing" & my inertia began to melt.

I went on a hunt & was in luck. My local Goodwill has an outlet. Can your believe it?!! an outlet Goodwill?
They sell clothing for 79 cents a pound!! ( I knew I had to limit my time in there or I'd collect too much--I went for cotton, color, and the most fabric in the item--also not smelly). I came home with 12 lbs of some of the most amazing cotton to "cut up" into strips, squares, and bricks.

My plan is to practice scrap system techniques. I decided to cut sizes into 2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 & 4 inches.
It took a while for me to decide on these sizes, but that's another story.

I spent all of saturday, washing, & cutting the clothes. Before I cut them into the scrap sizes, I decided to starch them (which I never do) Well, I ruined my iron with the starch, it's all gummy now. (Lesson to learn)

some things i've observed:
cutting up clothing is a lot of work
Men's oxford shirts have amazing construction
pajamas also have some amazing construction, pockets--darts??
kids clothes have cute fabric but a lot of work to de construct--better love the fabric to be worth the effort
buttons are difficult to take off & shirts have lots of them
I have to stop myself from "keeping this for so & so" (and not staying on task)

if i can figure out how to post pics of my "find" i'll try to do that.
this week's goal is to cut fabric into desired sizes. (and get a new iron, or figure out how to clean the gunk off-spray starch)

next goal is to then sew up some blocks from said fabric.

wish me luck, I'm looking forward to having fun.
I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how to do that.