View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by sewmanyideas View Post
any one know how many hst's I will need to make a 40x60 rainbow "Roy G Biv" quilt?

What size of finished block do you want? With the dimensions of 40 x 60, I'd say using 5" blocks, that would leave you with no need for a border. And do you need those exact measurements? Generally a 60" long quilt is 45" wide.
For 60 " long you'll need 12 rows of 5" finished blocks. For 40" wide you need 8 blocks across (total 96) and 9 blocks across for 45" (total 108).Bear in mind those HST will have to start a bit larger to allow for the seam. Many of the quilters here would try to be very precise, I'd just cut 6" blocks, stitch, cut, and square up to 5 1/2 before sewing together. If you need a border, drop 2 rows, and 2 blocks across. Then add borders that would finish out at 5" . Or if you wanted a much smaller border, say 2 1/2", drop one row and one block across.

5" and 10" are the only two block sizes that will come out to 40 x 60. If you are flexible on size, you can use almost any size of block and just quit when you reach the finished size you want.