Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM
AngelinaMaria

Default Making an "Oh My Gosh" quilt--pure insanity or not? I'd love some tips from the sage.

So, I saw this quilt a few months ago and can not get it out of my head. I've googled and there are several other ones online to admire as well.

This is the quilt I'm talking about: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t92088.html

I've never made blocks near this small before. From what I gather, the 9 patches and HST are 1.5 inches finished. I can't tell if that "finished" is after the initial construction of the 9 patch--or after it is sewn into the entire quilt which would make it 2 inches?? The 4 patches in the on point patch are said to be 1 inch. So, I am assuming that when the "on point" triangles are added it makes it equal to the 9 patches and HST. I haven't played around yet and I'm thinking I'm probably going to burn myself unless I get a small iron.

Questions: Do I have the dementions for the blocks correct (the strips for the 9 patch should be cut at 1 inch so that when the 3 strips are sewn together, they are 1.5 in width--after sewn with the rest of the blocks)?

Should I get a small or mini iron (what size in inches do you think would be best--I have a full size iron only)?

I am going to use Fairy Frost fabrics (I have about 32 different FQ's right now of yellows, pinks, lavendar/purple, greens/teals and blues) and are planning to use a solid or white on white. Many of the quilts use a small print for the background fabric. Do you think it would be better to find a background that has tiny splatters of some color or will white be good?