Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
jlhmnj

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Jon, the cap is plastic. I have the top of the cap and it has just a couple of rounds of thread on it. The rest of the cap is screwed in flush with the metal square around the spring. I have not tried to move the spring, but have used the edge of a screwdriver on the plastic part of the cap to see if I can get it to move, and I can't. I could try a heavy needle to see if it will budge it at all. I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to either leave it taped, which is temporary at best, or glue the cap down on the thing. I'd be very careful about the glue if I did that as I know I don't want it to get into the spring area.
You aren't talking about putting the screwdriver in the square metal part around the spring, are you? The metal isn't part of the plastic screw, is it? I figured it was part of the motor unit.
OK, the hollow square in the bakelite (plastic) cap is showing. Good news is no drilling. The flat screwdriver goes across the diagonal corners. If the cap is in real tight it won't come out and chip off the plastic. Don't mess with the square metal brush holder tube.

If the cap doesn't come off fairly easily with the flat screwdriver, I would keep it taped or pin point glue untill the brushes wear out which is hopefully a long time off. You can fool with it then.

Jon