Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I completed a sample block (see the image on this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5265736 )

I am not really happy with it. I think the fabric has such a wide weave it doesn't have a nice smooth look (in the photo you can see an almost roughness to it). Even my prewash showed that certain fabrics were going to hold their sheen longer/differently. I think it is too risky to undergo this big of an endevour with a fabric that I am not sure how it will perform and hold up. So, I think I am going to switch to using my rainbow colored batiks. I have well over 120 FQ that range the rainbow (not sure I want to cut into all of them but I will definately have enough). I believe all my batiks are Hoffman (does Hoffman make Tonga??) brand and have a medium-thin feel to them so they should be a bit easier to work with. I just have to make sure that I get all the bleeding out in my prewash.
If you're not having good feelings now, it's better to switch from the FF now. Otherwise you'll find yourself hating the project and with the small piecing, you might abandon it all too easily. For your batiks, treat them with Retayne .... and use Colour Catchers for quality control on the bleeding.