Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Krystyna
Swap Hosts

OK, here is the deal on beach plum jam. From the label on my jam -- and jam is sooo much better than jelly ..

In secluded wild spaces where the sea and sand meet, the highly prized Wild Beach Plum captures the essence of summer. Warmed by the summer sun. Caressed by salty sea spray breeze where seagulls glide.

The location of the groves of this elusive and the coveted fruit is a closely held secret passed on to the fortunate generations of those who live Somewhere by the Sea.

Collected at precisely the right moment, the wild beach plum fills the senses with a fragrant mélange of the season’s sweet memories.

Delightful on breakfast muffins or corn bread. A unexpected complement to seafood, game and vegetarian entrees.

Beach plums ONLY grow well in the wild. Cornell University has tried and tried to cultivate them but it just doesn't work. They grow on scraggly bushes in the sandy dunes away from most foot traffic. They are about the size of a cherry, but have a pit like a plum. My husband and I use a cherry pitter to clean them and it takes a loooong time since we fill about 10 5-gallon buckets each time we go. I use a child's wading pool to clean them all. Quite a site. They are incredibly delicious in jam and I make an Asian inspired dipping sauce with them combining ginger, garlic and secret stuff. The part about keeping the location of the groves a secret is not made up. People would rather give away their first born child than give up the location of a beach plum grove.