Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 AM
DawnFurlong

Thank you everyone for your input! It has helped to focus me a bit more. There are so many tools out there, so many different methods, it can get overwhelming!!

twoxover - would love to hear how you like your Quilt Cut 2 when it arrives in a week!

NJQuilter - I think I am fairly accurate with my cutting and also with my 1/4 inch (would say more accurate in cutting - could work on getting a scant 1/4 inch - but I can generally sew straight, glad I am not fighting that). But - other than using my shape cut - I really don't like cutting using my long ruler (think it is 6 x 24). I don't like lining up the edges of my fabric on a line on my cutting mat (and then lining up my long ruler to lines on the top and bottom of the cutting mat). I would say my accuracy goes down at that point. But in somewhere else on this board (or somewhere) I read about using a short stack of post it notes to mark the edge of where a cut is on a ruler, so am thinking doing the same on a cutting mat would help with that problem.

pinkberrykay - I remember when you found your Quilt Cut. It was from the Sew for Less yahoo group. I am keeping my eye out on that site. I have already decided that if I get one, I would like the Quilt Cut 2. When I have funds together, I might just post an "ISO" message on that group.

ZugZug - I actually saved a search on Ebay yesterday for a Quilt Cut 2. Also looked on Craig's list. Nothing there right now, but am going to keep my eyes open.

Romanjog - thank you for the information on HST's. If I understand correctly, if I want my square to be 4 inches, then I add an inch (making it 5 inches). I wasn't even sure where the 7/8 inch came in (with quarter- or half-square triangles) - I just know it has to do with one of them. I was also reading yesterday where several have said they don't worry about the 7/8ths -they just round up to 1, then trim down. I do have a couple of different square rulers. I have squared up my squares on only one quilt so far, which made it so much nicer when I put together my rows. Was a little confused on the proper way to square, since I was at least cognizant at that point that I didn't want to lop off the extra from just one side and thus the symmetry of the block off.

I believe I would find the Alto's Quilt Cut system versatile and useable. I would plan on setting up a space so that it will always be set up. After more thought, it think I would like having this one system more than having additional rulers. I like how multiple shapes can be cut at once and believe I would find it versatile. I am going to keep my eyes open for a used one. While doing that, I think I will just set a certain amount of $$ aside each week for this purchase. I will re-post when I get one!